Wednesday, October 23, 2013

There Just Are Not Words

Anyone who knows me knows I'm rarely at a loss for words.  This would be one of those times, so forgive me if the ones I do manage to find aren't all that eloquent.  Since I began sharing my journey through Breast Cancer Land, I have been overwhelmed with the outpouring of love and support directed my way.  

I'll confess, I feel a bit guilty about it.  No, this isn't a pleasant sort of thing to deal with, but in the whole scheme of BAD THINGS, my particular bad thing seems relatively minor.  Don't scoff. I know CANCER isn't minor, but mine was caught so early, and the prognosis is so encouraging, that I DO feel a bit guilty, because I know there are so many people facing far fiercer foes than I am, at present.  I tell myself neither love nor prayer nor good will are finite.  But I surely do appreciate all who've taken the time and made the effort to send it my way.  I've had several people say to me this cancer doesn't stand a chance. Not with y'all behind me, it sure doesn't.  Not that I feel sorry for it. 

There's been a smidge of confusion re: the timing of it all, but tomorrow (Thursday) is the day I'll be undergoing surgery for it -- a lumpectomy which, I'm told, won't keep me down for very long.  Following that, they'll set me up for six weeks of radiation, just to be sure we kick the crud out of the evil Nazis lurking in my boob. 

In the meantime, I'd like to make a passing effort at expressing my thanks:

  • To my family, who love me unconditionally and are there for me always;
  • To my love, David, who has been the most supportive, understanding, loving boyfriend a girl could ever ask for (have I mentioned lately what a very #LuckyGirl I am?!);
  • To his family for being so very thoughtful and wishing me well through this;
  • To my dear friends who've checked in on me and offered to help however they can;
  • To friends and classmates from long ago who've generously donated to the BCRF Fundraiser which my FTR Family put together and/or bought one of these snazzy "Walk A Mile in My Boobs" tees to help us raise money for the cause;
  • Right along side many new friends from both the "real world" and on-line who've also given generously and helped spread the word;
  • To those who've quietly reached out to me to offer love and support and their own experiences with the Evil Cancer Monster;
  • To everyone who's sent a prayer my way or wished me well.
There are individual thank you notes which are due to many of y'all and will be forthcoming.  But I want to say an extra special big thank you to my FTR Family and anyone else who helped orchestrate the #TeamSmoosieQ campaign today on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.  And for all I know, Pinterest.  For those uncertain as to what I'm referring, I invite you to sneak a peek at my Facebook page, or search the #TeamSmoosieQ hashtag on Twitter.  That will give you an inkling as to why I'm feeling so very verklempt/verklemmt right now.  No, there really aren't words to express it.  So I will simply say:  Thank you. 




1 comment:

  1. Hi Susie, I wasn't aware of your unfortunate health scare until now. You are doing the right thing, this blog. I have a mom going through terminal cancer treatment now, and I wish she'd do this. I'm sure it helps a lot to share your thoughts. Don't feel guilty, you have a role now to inspire others. I, myself, have a letter from my screening office saying it's time to have another mammogram, and it has been sitting there for six months! You inspire me to make the call. There ya go! Also, my mom, though her cancer will get her eventually, is doing great so far. Her doctors are impressed. She got through radiation treatments with barely any affect. She is doing chemo regularly and still has only lost a relatively small portion of her hair. So hopefully your experience is similar. My stepmom had breast cancer, double mastectomy, and is doing great 12 years later. I also had a friend with the same exact diagnosis as you who is fine now. She did mammograms every year and still was caught at the same point as you. Be proud of the fact that you caught this early, not guilty. Best of luck! Jennifer (Washburn) Sandlund

    ReplyDelete